We hit 25 episodes!
The SciFi Diner
Please call the listener line at 1.888.508.4343, or email us at email@example.com
Tonight’s Diners: Scott & Miles
Welcome to the Diner. We want your feedback: how are we doing, what can we do differently, what would you like to hear? We what to know! Also the ACC feeds of out podcast are enhanced, which means there are chapters. So if we’re talking about a show you’re not interested in, you can skip ahead.
- Our silver Anniversary
- Our Favorite past episodes
- Our Name change – why and such
- Our New Toll Free Phone Number: 1.888.508.4343
- Our New intro.: Thanks to Kris, aka Drella1, for lending voice acting talents
- Most of all thanks to you the listeners for helping us hit 25
- Changes to the show: We are still gonna do trivia & news, and will continue to do our reviews of things, but we will also be adding more interviews
- Playing Promos: why? These are shows we listen to and recommend. You hear promos before news and before our main discussion or interview. By the way, if you’re a podcaster, we want your promo – e-mail them/the link to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- New URL: scifi-diner.com This is one you should/can be using. The other diningaattheendoftheuniverse.com, thescifiguys.com, and scififanboys.com will still take you to our site, but after this show, we will not be promoting them.
- Change: we have some awesome giveaways
- Houston, We have Forums. Come join the discussion as we chat about the shows we love. Let us know the changes you want since this is a new thing for us.
Tonight’s Agenda: The Dollhouse Season One DVD release, Our Interview with Mellie (November, Madeline, Miracle Laurie)
Next weeks Agenda: We interview a Muggle (a Potterphile) and get their take on movie six.
Our trivia question this week:
Which doll from Dollhouse was considered for what role on Joss Whedon’s Firefly?
The Prize: An autographed Dollhouse picture of November signed by Miracle Laurie.
- Doug, one of our listeners, suggested we talk about the moon landing. After all he said “That’s sci fi from a movie studio in cali ”
- Next week we’ll have some Comicon news from our liaison in The Stargate Multiverse. Sherry, who we met at Shore Leave, will be there. She is involved with the Stargate track and hopefully will give us some news on SGU!
- At last! ‘Stargate Universe’ and ‘Sanctuary’ Air Dates Announced. Stargate Universe will kick off on Friday October 2, 2009 at 9pm. Sanctuary returns for a second season on Friday October 9, 2009 at 10 pm.
- ‘Battlestar Galactica: The Plan’ can be pre-ordered now (release date announced). You can preorder this from myscifistore.com. The Plan chronicles the first 281 days of the Battlestar Galactica series through the eyes of the Cylons.
- The Emmy List: Battlestar Galactica received 6 (not 4) Emmy nominations!
- Outstanding Directing For A Drama Series: Battlestar Galactica • Daybreak (Part 2)
- Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series: Battlestar Galactica • Daybreak (Part 2)
- Outstanding Sound Editing For A Series: Battlestar Galactica • Daybreak (Part 2)
- Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (One Hour): Battlestar Galactica • Daybreak (Part 2)
- Outstanding Special Visual Effects For A Series: Battlestar Galactica • Daybreak (Part 2)
- Outstanding Special Class – Short-format Live-Action Entertainment Programs: Battlestar Galactica • The Face Of The Enemy
- Ronald D. Moore Talks ‘Caprica’. Crave Online asks Moore: Has it changed a lot from the pilot movie? Ron Moore: Yeah. The pilot’s a very specific story and then from that story, we’ve really expanded outward and brought some details that are surprising to some of the characters. Some things that we didn’t even hint about in the pilot, you then discover oh my God, that’s who that character really is, or that’s a different part of their character I didn’t suspect existed. Others we double back and you’re like oh, I thought they were going this direction. They’re actually going that direction. There was an effort to sort of change up the game a lot as we went into the series.
- A New ‘Twilight Zone’ Movie in Development. A new Twilight Zone move is in the works. Variety report that Warner Bros. and Leonardo DiCaprio’s Appian Way have hired Rand Ravich to pen a script based upon the original Twilight Zone TV series. Ravich’s writing credits include The Astronaut’s Wife (which he also directed), Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh and The Maker. He is perhaps best known for creating NBC’s detective series Life. Rod Sterling created the original Twilight Zone TV series in 1959. It ran for 156 episodes over five seasons. In 1983 Twilight Zone: The Movie was made featuring four horror/sci-fi short stories from leading film makers of the day including Steven Spielberg, John Landis, Joe Dante and George Miller. The new Twilight Zone is tentatively scheduled for a 2011 release.
- ‘Star Trek’ Blu-Ray and DVD Release Details. – Available to be preordered from myscififstore.com. Some of DVD features are as follows:
- The STAR TREK two-disc DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, French 5.1 Surround and Spanish 5.1 Surround with English, French and Spanish subtitles.
- Commentary — By director J.J. Abrams, writers Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman, producer Damon Lindelof and executive producer Bryan Burk.
- A New Vision — J.J. Abrams’ vision was not only to create a Star Trek that was a bigger, more action-packed spectacle, but also to make the spectacle feel real. Every aspect of production — from unique locations to the use of classic Hollywood camera tricks — was guided by this overall objective.
- Gag Reel — Bloopers featuring the entire principal cast.
- To Boldly Go — Taking on the world’s most beloved science fiction franchise was no small mission. Director J.J. Abrams, writers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, producer Damon Lindelof, and executive producer Bryan Burk talk about the many challenges they faced and their strategy for success.
- ‘Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen’ Breaks Another Record. Whilst Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince takes the world by storm it’s easy to forget that Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen is still making box office waves. Now Michael Bay’s Transformers sequel has smashed the Chinese box office to become the biggest earning movie in the country, surpassing an 11 year old record set by James Cameron’s Titanic. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen has taken the equivalent of US $59M (400 million Chinese yuan) in China. The second highest earner in the country is now Titanic with $43M. As of now Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen has earned US $350M and $383M internationally to sit pretty on $733M. It has now out-earned its predecessor and is ranked 16th in the all time top grosser list.
- Live Action ‘Voltron’ Film in Development. Hot on the heels of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen’s success at the box office comes the announcement that a new giant robot movie is pressing forward – Atlas Entertainment has just acquired the rights to make the 1980’s television series Voltron into a live-action feature film. This could end up being a bigger movie than you might think. Some of the producers names that are attached to the project are connected with notables such as The Dark Knight, Wanted, Get Smart and The International. The Voltron feature film hasn’t yet been set with a studio although Atlas apparently has a deal with Sony which could lead to Voltron becoming a new tentpole – something that I’m sure Sony will be thinking heavily about in light of Paramount’s recent success with Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. One of Voltron’s producers, Ted Koplar, says Voltron will be set apart from Transformers. “Unlike other robotic action movies, Voltron is the personification of the human spirit,” he said, “a quality that will set this movie apart.” Set to release in 2011.
- Sam Raimi to direct World of Warcraft movie. Forget Spider-Man: Director Sam Raimi has signed on to direct Warcraft, the live-action film adaptation of the fantasy MMORPG World of Warcraft, Variety reported: Legendary Pictures and vidgame publisher Blizzard Entertainment are mounting the film, and Warner Bros. will co-finance and distribute. The team boasts an impressive pedigree: In addition to the director of Spider-Man, the partners have added The Dark Knight producer Charles Roven to the creative mix. The Warcraft universe features an epic conflict between the Horde and the Alliance.
- Half-Blood Prince smashes records as number one. The sixth Harry Potter movie, The Half-Blood Prince, lived up to expectation by taking in an estimated $159.7 million at the domestic box office since opening on Wednesday, the second-highest start ever for a movie premiering midweek (after Transformers: The Revenge of the Fallen). The movie also took in $237 million overseas since Wednesday in 54 countries, bringing its worldwide total to $396.7 million. The sixth movie about the young wizard came in $20 million ahead of the last movie, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, which grossed $139.7 million domestically in its first five days two years ago. By the end of its seventh day Tuesday, Half-Blood Prince will be in the $180 million range on its way to becoming the franchise’s first $300 million domestic smash since the original movie, 2001’s Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, said Dan Fellman, Warner head of distribution.
The Main Stuff
- Dollhouse Season One DVD/Blueray Release on July 28th. You can preorder or order them through myscifistore.com. The release details are as follows:
- Disc 1: 185 Minutes Ghost (w/Episode Commentary with Joss Whedon and Eliza Dushku), The Target, Stage Fright, and Gray Hour
- Disc 2: 185 Minutes True Believer, Man on the Street, Echoes, & Needs
- Disc 3: 185 Minutes A Spy in the House, Haunted, Briar Rose, and Omega
- Disc 4: 139 Minutes Epitaph One (W/Episode Commentary by Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen), Original Unaired Pilot – “Echo”, Deleted Scenes, Making Dollhouse, Coming Back Home, Finding Echo, Designing the Perfect Dollhouse, and A Private Engagement
- Dollhouse Season 2 premieres Septemebr 25. We expect November will be back October 2nd.
- You can see Miracle Laurie doing Hula dancing on our SciFiFanBoys You Tube channel.
- You can also find her band Uke Box Heroes on her MySpace site.
- We are looking on getting her back on the SciFi Diner podcast in September for an interview about season 2 of Dollhouse. If you have any questions for her, please call us at 1.888.508.4343 or email us at email@example.com.
- Our interview with Miracle Laurie.