The SciFi Diner Podcast
Tonight’s Diners: Scott & Miles
Welcome to the Science Fiction Diner. We want your feedback: how are we doing, what can we do differently, what would you like to hear? We what to know! Also the iPod feeds of our podcast are enhanced, which means there are chapters. So if we’re talking about a show you’re not interested in, you can skip ahead.
Tonight’s agenda: Interview with Marris Brood aka Adrienne Wilkinson
The Trivia Question for Next Week:
The Prize: This week we are giving away a copy of Season 3 of Smallville.
Question: In the Smallville television series, what was the name of the school newspaper that Clark and Chloe ran?
For our trivia question this week:
Winner of the following trivia question got an autographed copy of Adrienne Wilkinson as Marris Brood from the Force Unleashed.
The Question: Who was the voice of Yoda from the six Star Wars Movies?
Answer: Frank Oz
Winner: Startled Rhino
Ten Minutes in SciFi TV:
- Summer Glau Cast in ‘Dollhouse’ Glau will appear in a multi-episode story arc set to unfold later in the upcoming second season. She will play a character named Bennett who has a history with Eliza Dushku’s Echo and who has an apparent connection to another, as yet unknown Dollhouse character. Rumor is her character will be from another Dollhouse and will appear in at least two episodes from episode 5, airing in October.
- Michael NeoFX states:The final act of Power Source will be out next week. It is looking rather good, and we have already started on the next episode and anticipate it coming out before the end of the year. We are also work on another Trek and Firefly project.
- Smallville Season 9 trailer plus season 8 recap. The very cool trailer provides a first glimpse at Brian Austin Green as the cyborg Metallo, Callum Blue as Major Zod, and Tom Welling as a very Matrix-Neo looking Superman. This is the way Superman Returns should have been done.
- Warehouse 13 breaks another Syfy audience record https://www.syfy.com/2009/08/warehouse-13-breaks-anoth.php. Warehouse 13, which last week broke viewing records when its fourth episode delivered the most females of any series telecast in Syfy’s history, set yet another record with its fifth. By adding nearly 1 million viewers from Live + 7 DVR playback (985,000), the Aug. 4 episode, “Elements,” with guest star Joe Flanigan, became the most watched original series telecast in Syfy’s 17-year history, delivering 4.3 million total viewers.
- Discussion: Has the change from SciFi to SyFy caused the success of Warehouse 13?
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars season two premieres Oct. 2 Coming off of the record-setting first season of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Cartoon Network announced today it will premiere a full slate of 22 all-new episodes for season two of the critically acclaimed CG-animated series from creator George Lucas and Lucasfilm Animation. The special one-hour season two premiere event of Star Wars: The Clone Wars airs Friday, October 2, at 8 p.m. ET.
Ten Minutes in SciFi Movies:
- ‘Avatar’ Teaser Trailer Breaks Apple Record 20th Century Fox have announced the trailer broke Apple.com’s record for the most-viewed trailer ever. Avatar was streamed 4 million times in its first day, eclipsing the previous record held by J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek XI. BTW tickets are available for Thursday night Dec 17th showing.
- Ian McKellen teases with Hobbit casting news Ian McKellen put in an appearance at London’s BFI IMAX cinema Saturday night for a special marathon screening of the extended editions of all three Lord of the Rings films, and surprised the audience by unexpectedly revealing Hobbit news during his introductory remarks. Not only did he confirm that he’ll be coming back as Gandalf, and is expecting to start work on set in March of next year, he also dropped a bit of a casting bombshell. According to McKellen, the starring role of Bilbo Baggins has been successfully cast already. Not only that, but he knows who has the role and he’s sure that the fans will be very, very pleased. McKellen also revealed that he is expecting his own personal copy of the script within the next two weeks.
- ‘Star Trek’ Has Inspired Dan Aykroyd To Revive The Ghostbusters Franchise. As reported by the Canadian Press, Actor / Writer / Producer Dan Aykroyd was so inspired by the revival of Star Trek franchise that he thinks ‘Ghostbusters 3′ should also involve passing the torch on to a younger generation. Who knows, with the recent release and success of the Ghostbusters console game, maybe the time is right for another Ghostbusters installment. Let’s see what Dan has to say about it. “I think this last ‘Star Trek’ was great, they did a really fine job of revivifying those characters,” Aykroyd told The Canadian Press in a telephone interview from his farm in Kingston, Ont. “I’d like to see the torch get passed in sort of a ‘Star Trek’ manner so that the franchise lives on.”
- Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky – scribes for NBC’s “The Office” – have signed on to write “Ghostbusters 3.” Aykroyd has said that he and other members of the original cast – including Bill Murray, Harold Ramis and Ernie Hudson – are on board to reprise their roles. But Aykroyd still sounds cautious about the prospect of another film.
- “As (’Ghostbusters’ director) Ivan Reitman says – and I quote him now – ‘It’s all just talk,”‘ Aykroyd said.
- “That’s pretty much what we can say. Until we can see a script, until we have casting, until we’ve got a production number,” he added before trailing off. “I’m the biggest cheerleader. I think it’s going to happen, but really it’s just theory until the production number is stamped.”
- If the film does get made, Aykroyd figures it’s time to crown a new generation of Ghostbusters.
- “The old generation of Ghostbusters, we’re getting hip replacements now, we can’t lift the equipment anymore, the eyesight’s fading, we can’t drive the car, there’s so many things that are just physically breaking down,” he said.
- “We need a whole new cadre of cadets to get us through to a new generation.”
- Given Aykroyd’s unwavering passion for the franchise, he’s just as anxious about a sequel as the series’ ardent fans.
Ten Minute in SciFi DVD/Video:
- Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen will be released as a single disc DVD, a two-disc special edition DVD, and as a two-disc special edition Blu-ray on October 20, 2009.
- Both the two-disc special editions feature over three hours of in-depth special features that include a multi-chapter documentary that includes interviews with the cast and crew, that chronicles the entire making of the film from development and design to filming in locations around the globe, working with the U.S. military, creating the groundbreaking visual effects and putting it all together to produce the Baysplosion of the year.
- The discs also include an all-access featurette following director Michael Bay through an entire day, a comprehensive exploration of the “confidential files” on a dozen of the characters featured in the film, multi-angle breakdowns of some of the most sensational action sequences and, apparently, more.
- The Blu-ray and two-disc DVD packages also will feature augmented reality technology that will allow owners to interact with a holographic image of Optimus Prime utilizing their webcams and a special website. Fans will be asked to piece together the “Matrix of Leadership” to bring Optimus Prime back to life, help repair his armor and calibrate his weapons by actually controlling his aim during target practice.
- As an added bonus, the Blu-ray will include an exclusive interactive feature that gives viewers the ability to customize their own robot characters and get a glimpse at a rogue robot. Out of all the available permutations, one will unlock an exclusive interview with Michael Bay about his plans for the next adventure. Two-Disc Special Edition DVD & Blu-ray:
- The two-disc Special Edition DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, French 5.1 Surround and Spanish 5.1 Surround with English, French and Spanish subtitles. The Blu-ray will be presented in 1080p high definition with English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, French 5.1 Dolby Digital and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital with English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese subtitles. The disc breakdown is as follows:
- Commentary by Michael Bay, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman
- The Human Factor: Exacting Revenge of the Fallen–This multi-chapter documentary chronicles the entire creation of the film and includes interviews with the cast and crew:
- Seeds of Vengeance – Development and Design – After the overwhelming success of 2007’s Transformers, how do the filmmakers top themselves for the sequel?
- Domestic Destruction – Production: United States – Michael Bay believes in going big: Big action and big explosions. Cast and crew are pushed to the limit as they traverse the U.S. from New Mexico to Pennsylvania.
- Joint Operations – Production: Military – No other filmmaker in the world enjoys the kind of military access and cooperation Michael Bay has. Here we see just how efficient our armed forces are and the awe and respect shown by the cast.
- Wonders of the World – Production: Middle East – You can’t really reproduce Egypt anywhere but Egypt so off we go to Giza and Luxor.
- Start Making Sense – Editing – In order to turn over the massive amount of film as quickly as possible to VFX, four editors work tirelessly in a unique tag-team approach to shape the film.
- Under the Gun – Visual Effects – Revenge of the Fallen features the most complicated VFX in film history. So complicated in fact that the filmmakers were unsure they would make the deadline. The Devastator VFX alone required 83% of ILM’s total render farm capacity.
- Running the Gauntlet – Post-Production and Release – Working seven days a week, Michael Bay and company usher the film through sound design, Digital Intermediate color-timing and a globe-trotting whirlwind of premieres.
- A Day with Bay: Tokyo–An intimate and fun all-access journey with Michael Bay as he travels to Tokyo, Japan for the world premiere of the biggest film of the year.
- 25 Years of TRANSFORMERS–Access an all-new featurette celebrating a monumental milestone for one of Hasbro’s most successful and popular franchises.
- NEST: Transformer Data-Hub–Explore conceptual artwork created by the production for 12 of the most popular Autobots and Decepticons from the film.
- Deconstructing Visual Bayhem with Commentary by Pre-Vis Supervisor Steve Yamamoto– A series of multi-angle pre-visualization sequences allowing viewers to learn how some of the film’s most spectacular scenes were created with an introduction by Michael Bay.
- Extended Scenes
- Music Video: Linkin Park’s “New Divide”
- The Allspark Experiment–Viewers get their chance to unleash the power of the recently recovered Allspark shard on Earth vehicles. Begin by selecting and customizing a vehicle with a selection of parts and accessories. Then apply the Allspark to this creation and watch what happens. Applying the Allspark to certain custom combinations enables four new robot characters with special powers. If viewers discover all four, they unlock a fifth vehicle, which reveals a top secret message about the future of the TRANSFORMERS movie franchise.
- NEST: Transformer Data-Hub–A database of some of the Transformer characters that appear in the new film, offering users access to each robot’s confidential file including:
- Innovative 3D spin galleries of each robot
- A timeline for each Transformers character charting its origins, back story and design evolution from toys to animated series to comics and finally feature films
- Giant Effing Movie – A very personal look at the making of the movie.
- The Matrix of Marketing–An archive of the film’s promotional media including trailers, posters and television spots.
- The Blu-ray and DVD debut will be supported by one of the largest marketing and promotional campaigns in Paramount Home Entertainment’s history that includes a multi-million dollar advertising blitz spanning television, print, radio and online.
- Chevrolet have partnered to offer sweepstakes with the chance to win a dream garage. The winner will select two Chevy vehicles of their choice from the coveted Camaro, the all new Equinox, the critically acclaimed Malibu, the legendary Silverado and others. A huge online campaign will drive consumers to a dedicated website to enter to win.
- Papa John’s will launch a massive national promotion in over 2,500 locations and featuring a multi-million dollar national television campaign promoting a $3.00 coupon for the DVD and Blu-ray. Papa John’s will also produce over two million limited edition Transformers-themed pizza boxes and promote the offer and DVD release on 25 million pieces of direct mail and over 250 million online impressions.
- Land O’Frost will feature a $3.00 DVD rebate inside five million packages of One Pound Premium(R) deli pouch lunch meats. The promotion will be executed across nearly 20,000 supermarkets.
- Perdue will feature a promotion on 2.5 million packages of Perdue(R) Refrigerated Breaded Chicken products featuring a $5 DVD rebate that will be promoted through a full-page free-standing insert ad and in-store POP.
- Extras announced for Farscape: The Complete Series DVD set A&E Home Video has revealed the details for its upcoming Farscape sets due out Nov. 17, which will include not only material from the out-of-print ADV Films releases, but also many new featurettes.
- Farscape: The Complete Series will contain all 88 episodes plus over 15 hours of bonus features on 26 discs, including
- Farscape Undressed—The Home Video: premiere of the rarely-seen, long-sought-after behind-the-scenes special.
- Four Archival Documentaries: In the Beginning: A Look Back with Brian Henson, Making of a Space Opera, Season 3: A Look Back with Executive Producer David Kemper and Farscape: The Story So Far.
- Three Inside Farscape Featurettes: Villains, Visual Effects and Save Farscape.
- 31 Audio Commentaries.
- Deleted Scenes, Director’s Cut Scenes, and an Alternate Version of the Season 2 Premiere.
- Behind-The-Scenes Interviews with the Characters, Cast and Creative Team of Farscape.
- Listening In with Composer Guy Gross: featurettes for 12 Episodes
- Original TV Promos.
Tonight we interview Adrienne Wilkinson, who played Xena’s daughter, and Marris Brood from the Force Unleashed.